Friday, March 7, 2008

Settling In

After a little while here I am starting to settle in to my “new home.” Part of making this feel more like home is that I currently have internet in my room. As a result I have added a link to pictures on the right hand side of the blog. I will try to add new photos as I post a new entry.

I had mentioned in the last post that the living conditions on my current FOB are not as nice as some of the others in Afghanistan. With that said, and running the risk of sounding like a whiner, I will give some of the highlights and the low lights of my current situation. I live in a 20 foot by 10 foot room, which is quite large on a FOB where space is at a premium. In my room I have a twin bed with my own linens, a TV with DVD player, a mini fridge and as I noted internet. I can hold a conversation with my neighbor, through the wall with out raising my voice. But we get along quite well so it’s not necessarily a bad thing. It is a lot like a college dorm room, only made entirely out of plywood. The walls are plywood, the floors are plywood, the desk is plywood, the shelves are plywood… you get the picture. The dinning facility is alright, not good, not bad. The food is actually pretty good with a fairly plentiful selection. In fact the more I think about it and the more I write, the more realize it’s A LOT like college dorm living conditions, except for one large difference. The nearest bathroom is 160 steps away on the other side of the FOB. This is not that bad until 2am, and you have to quickly throw clothes on and dance your way over there.

With all that said it is pretty decent here and I really can’t complain. The hard work ahead should prove to be rewarding and I look forward it.

Thank you and God Bless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marc,
I just want to say that we are proud of you and I am grateful that your Mom sent me your blog info. I am glad you are able to put pictures on here as well. The weather here in VT is cold, but sunny today, think we may have hit the low 30's, but it feels colder. Stay safe and thanks for all the info. The Deal Family back in VT.